Monday 20 June 2016

Spot the difference!

Apart from the fact that my purple "Believe" looks blue in these pictures of course!

Honestly, you'd think taking a picture outside in the daylight would give true colour, apparently not.
Sorry, for the cheating duplicate blog post, but I thought I'd share a few more details with you. We didn't add words to our canvases on the day so that we could each choose what word and font we wanted. I bought the Sweet Dixie believe die on Sunday (using the very generous 20% discount that Inspirations gave us) and cut it when I got home out of purple craft foam and then out of a scrap of the purple card that I made the zig zag card out of and layered them up on the canvas. After gluing the word on, I felt that the linen tape strips looked a bit heavy and so I coloured with distress markers one of the stamped butterflies that I had left over from the workshop and added that to distract from the tape.
We made the recesses in the canvas out of little boxes, the type that you get jewellery in. We were all most disappointed to find the boxes empty when we opened them! We used three colours of acrylic paint on the canvas and a dry brush type technique to apply them and bulid up the colour. The papers in the background are actually snipped from the cover sheet of the 12x12 Indigo Blu papers that we used to make our book project.


We had a hilarious weekend with Hels and Pauline, it was great too that a lot of people who attended the first weekend had returned and so new friendships are forming. The staff at Inspirations were so helpful and friendly too. Once again we all got a fab goodie bag and there were spot prizes given away at intervals throughout the day. They're planning another weekend of workshops in Preston in October and I've already reserved my place! If you ever get the chance to go on one of their workshops go for it, just make sure you take your "tena lady pads" with you if you have a "sensitive bladder"!
I'll be back tomorrow with the book we made. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh WOW Cara, what a fab project, a real work of art!!
    (my camera can't do purple either, always comes out very bluey)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My camera doesn't do blue's and purples either. Inside or out.
    I love this canvas. Missed your first post so glad I spotted this one. The butterfly is gorgeous and I just love those recesses you have created. Still having problems with my internet so typing as fast as I can before I loose it again. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Cara, this is stunning, so much detail to wonder over, gorgeous colours and design, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow, this is awesome Cara!! All of the purple hues just sucked me right in, and then those butterflies made me drool!! I love the little cubbies, what an amazing idea!! You know, I have a professional light lab with lightbulbs the size of my head, that are supposed to mimic natural light, but I still find the colours aren't right half the time. Silly cameras! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks purple to me, not blue. Love the canvas, you are pretty good at mixed media!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is one occasion I wish I lived further south. A beautiful canvas, love the two inverted frames, if that's what you call them?
    Great colour combo.

    Hugs Erika. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please ignore any requests to prove you're not a robot and just press publish. Cara x